Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy Days Are Here Again

What an incredible election! What an overwhelming miracle the last 24hours has been!
I said to Nat last night, this is the first time I have truely felt that I did something with my life.  HONESTLY.  It was my first election I voted in and to push that button....it was surreal.

I can remember so clearly sitting with my big sister during the election with Gore.....cheering and hopeful for the future. Then crying and feeling so completely lost watching hope slip away. And since that time...these eight terrifying years, I have never felt safe. Never felt secure. Never felt protected by this "idea" of America....because sadly, for eight years the idea of America has been trampled on and mistreated. And last night, we were great again.  I was enormously proud of Senator McCain. His speech was beautiful and to the point and we finally got a glimpse of the man we all used to really respect.  There seemed to be a bit of a chill between the Senator and Govenor Palin. And rightfully so. I'm not complaining with the current result (BELIEVE ME) but I think perhaps, had Senator McCain made a wiser choice for a running mate (any skirt will never do) we could've seen at least a tighter race if not a completely different end result.
I hope we've heard the last of Sarah Palin.  Think me erratic, but the woman, in my opinion is Hitler in a skirt.  She is the Grim Reaper of Women's Rights.  Frightful.  I just hope she will go back to Alaska, stay there.  Let her be an advocate of all the things she said she would be an advocate for, and let her do it away from me.

On to the new PRESIDENT ELECT! President Barack Obama!  "Change has come to America".  14 million of us who had never voted before , did so yesterday.  It was magic.  WE DID IT! And....We spoke clearly and loudly.  We won by a LANDSLIDE.  It was overwhelming....it all happened so fast. I really thought I would have to go to bed in fear I would wake up to more of the same. But at 11pm it was clear and lovely.  It was a miracle.  A wave of hope, joy, and peace came over me. Again, I felt safe in my country and for the first time in a long time PROUD to be an American. No longer did I feel this was a snotty elitist nation trying to get by on greed alone.  We're again , "the land of the free and the home of the brave".  We can call what all of us stood up to do yesterday bravery....but really everyone, it was common sense. We can no longer reward only the wealthy. If this is indeed the land of opportunity, let it be so and I  believe it will be so.  It won't be easy, and I am greatful for President Obama's honesty where these truths are concerned.  But we're going to get there.
I am sad for the comments of close minded Republican ticket supporters who's facebook, myspace and twitter and what-have-you comments, that I have read. And yes, maybe I am wrong, but I've deleted many of them as friends. I don't have the time and frankly can't envision myself in association (at least currently) with such people. May I remind them, the man they followed graciously acknowledged his defeat and asked  them to support their new President.  If these people really are, "country first" you would think perhaps Patriotism could overturn Biggotry (sp) we'll see. 

Ok. Tomorrow I plan to write a more, "jaclyn kay" type blog.  Something with glitter, ibs, sex and designing women.
Stay Tuned,
JAC

1 comment:

Kim said...

Three and a half long years ago a friend said to me "I know it's awful now but I trust the system, the system will still work." I said in despair, "I'm afraid it's irreprably damaged." But last night I rejoiced that she was right - 232 years later, 8 yrs of trampling on it and it still works.